
I was looking out the kitchen window the other day at our dog Skeeter. She loves to lay in the dirt that is shaded by a large walnut tree in our backyard. I noticed her ears were perked up and she kept pawing at something on the ground, then sniffing at it and then quickly pulling her head away. I opened up the window and called to her so she would stand up and I saw this huge orangey looking thing sitting in the dirt. I went outside to see what it was and found this big bug! I have never seen a bug this big. I took a picture and looked it up online to find out it is called a "Broad Necked Root Borer". They basically ruin fruit and nut trees by boring down deep in the dirt and eating the roots and then eventually the entire insides of the tree. I think that's why my ground cover I planted isn't doing too well. They probably have eaten all the roots. Since I first saw the bug I've seen two and only in that box of dirt.
5 comments:
Gross!
I thought the colors in the photo were pretty... Am I weird?
Hi there long lost friend! How are you? Are you guys coming anytime soon so we can go to lunch or something????
Holy Crap, yep, that's enough to make me move:)
That's one big bug! No wonder Skeeter went nuts!
Post a Comment